August 05, 2009

What's Mine Is Yours


I recently subscribed to Rachel Zoe's email missive, which features her picks from fashion's latest and greatest. The service launched yesterday and, as Rachel herself would say: I die.

This got me thinking: I've signed up for a decent number of similar email-based subscriptions over the years, yet only a few remain. I thought I'd list them here with a short description of each in case any of them should find a home in your inbox as well. All are free services and a few (like Daily Candy and Shop It To Me) are customizable to suit your personal interests. Click on the title of any of the following for more information!

The Zoe Report

Shut. It. Down. Rachel Zoe, stylist to the stars, narrows down the best "fashion, beauty, and lifestyle finds". The featured items may be pricey ($680 Brian Atwood Lola platform booties, anyone?) - after all, homegirl is mega loaded, much like her star-studded clientele - but she's nice enough to include information on similar products for less. And they say Hollywood insiders only think about themselves!

GOOP
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I subscribe to Gwyneth Paltrow's email musings. So shoot me! I'll be honest, some of the editions are *ahem* less than useful (I'm talking to you, master cleanse!) but others are actually... brace yourself... quite informative. Take her latest email, for instance. She asked some of her friends and editors to list their favorite books with a short description of each, and to say that a few made it to my reading list would be an understatement. Plus, she highlighted my favorite city and appreciates "cooks", so I'm sold. Each edition features one of 6 categories: Make, Go, Get, Do, Be, and See. It's all incredibly pretentious, but once you get past loathing Gwynnie for her nepotistic successes and obvious patronizing tone, Goop is really quite enjoyable.

Shop It To Me

Scouring the sales rack has never been easier! Just sign up, click on your favorite designers, designate your desired frequency of emails, and voila! Shop It To Me will send you a single email with featured sale items, prices included.

Daily Candy
Please don't sign up for this newsletter. If you do, you'll stop reading this blog and deem me a plagerizer. Well, you would if "plagerizer" was a word.

Free Kibble
A daily reminder to log onto freekibble.com. By answering the website's daily trivia question for dogs and/or cats the website donates 10 pieces of food to hungry animals living in shelters around the country. (Fun fact: A single pair of cats and their kittens can produce as many as 420,000 kittens in 7 years!) I like to ask Brain the trivia questions each day to see if he knows the answers. Luckily for the animals, providing the correct answer is just an ego boost, as the kibble is contributed regardless of the outcome.

Word Of The Day
I originally signed up for Dictionary.com's daily emails while applying to graduate school and preparing to sit for the GRE. I took the exam over a year ago yet I can't seem to gather the strength to cancel my subscription. What can I say? I'm hooked.

[Click on image for source information]

No comments:

Post a Comment