August 15, 2009

A Cappella Love

In the spring of 2007 I introduced Brain to one of my many alma maters via a weekend roadtrip to Charlottesville, Virginia. By far the most memorable experience from the adventure was hearing the Virginia Gentlemen, UVa's oldest (and my favorite) male a cappella group, perform in Old Cabel Hall located on the south end of the lawn. Brain, who plays several instruments and has a background in audio engineering, is very particular about music and sound quality. I'm talking Kate Gosslin picky. So taking him to see the VGs was a little like introducing your significant other to your family - exciting, yes, but mostly just nerve-racking.

He loved it. In fact, he loved it so much that he didn't really mind me swooning over the president and star singer of the group, Will Anderson. Though, truth be told, I don't think I was the only one swooning, ifyouknowwhatImean. Below is a poorly taped video clip from the concert we attended, featuring Will on lead vocals:



Following the VG's performance, I may or may not have stalked Mr. Anderson and discovered that he plays multiple instruments and is the lead singer in a band. Originally named Sparky's Flaw, the group now goes by the name Parachute and is developing quite the following in Charlottesville and beyond. Reminiscent of The Fray, Parachute's sound would be perfect to study to but catchy enough to sing along with in the car on your way home from work. I love those kind of jams.


No comments:

Post a Comment