August 18, 2009

A Heartfelt Thank You and Goodbye


I sat through a hospital orientation today and anyone who's ever worked at a hospital and attended such an event knows this is a full day dedicated to propagating complete and utter BS. You are then required to swallow said BS and, let me tell you, it is not tasty.

Every orientation is led by the same lady. You know, the one who loves her job, loves the hospital, loves the organization's mission statement and core values, loves to show pictures of the CEO and describe him as though they are BFFs and summer together in Nantucket, and who "just knows that you're going to love it here as much as she does!" In other words, a person who drank the Kool-Aid.

Well, my orientation today was no different. I was just about to mentally drift off to sleep when the lady who loves things displayed a quote that - now I'm just taking a wild guess here - she loves.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

This widely recognizable quote reminded me of a story I recently read regarding the late John Hughes. I always knew that Mr. Hughes was a brilliant screenwriter, but until now I didn't realize that he was such an amazing human being. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment